Appliance Division of General Motors in World War Two / WWII
Originally established as the
Rochester Coil Company in 1908 it was reorganized into the Northeast in
1908 and purchased by General Motors in 1929 and was consolidated with
Delco Light Division in Dayton in 1930 to become Delco Appliance
Division. Delco Light products moved to Rochester. In 1963
the Division became part of Delco Products.
Delco Appliance Division of GM
World War Two / WWII Production Numbers / Statistics:
Aircraft: Solenoid Shifter that controls the hydraulic unit
that changes gears on an aircraft supercharger, Aneroid Switch that
controls the gear changes as an aircraft goes through altitude changes,
and the Aneroid that automatically controls the air flow from the
supercharger. Aircraft Magnetos
Naval: Engine cutout
for the Packard engines on PT and Rescue Boats, Auxiliary Generators for
Amphibious Tanks (Amtracs.).
Motors: Twin Blower
electric motors for various military applications such as aircraft flap
motors, marine engine ignition cut-out motors.
The Delco Appliance
Division won the Army-Navy "E" Award four times.
One application of Delco Appliance World War Two products is an
automatic ignition cut-out used on Packard built PT boat
engines. At high speed in rough waters the propellers could come
out of the water which could cause the engines to over rev. The
Delco Appliance device prevented this. This one is at the National War in the Pacific Museum in
Geared for War 'Victory