Studebaker Proving Ground
Studebaker South Bend Plant Photos
Studebaker in World War One
World War Two Vehicle Photos
Studebaker R-1820 Aircraft
Engines on the B-17 "Yankee Lady"
Studebaker in World War Two / WWII
South Bend, IN
Rest in Peace
Studebaker R-1820 Aircraft Engines on the B-17 "Yankee Lady" page added
Studebaker Proving Ground and Studebaker South Bend Plant Photo pages
Studebaker in World War One and Studebaker World War Two Vehicle Photos
pages added 2-12-2015.
This page last updated
Studebaker had 17,000 employees during
WWII and had production facilities in South Bend, IN, Fort Wayne, IN
and Chicago, IL at this time, having moved out its facilities in Detroit during the Great
Depression. The company's total contract value for the war was
In South Bend there was the main
automotive complex of several plants that produced truck engines, trucks
and the M29 Weasel. This was the main Studebaker complex that
before and after the war built automobiles until the company went out fo
On the south side of South Bend at 701
West Chippewa Avenue had its plant for the final assembly of license
built Wright R-1820 aircraft engines for the B-17 Flying Fortress.
During WWII this 1,560,000 square foot plant was on five parcels of land
totaling 318 acres. This was a government owned plant during WWII.
In Chicago, IL on the southwest corner of
Archer and Cicero Avenues the company 850,000 square foot plant on 50
acres to produce components for the Chippewa Street final assembly
plant. The Chicago plant still exists today as a logistic center.
This was a government owned plant during WWII.
The Fort Wayne, IN plant also produced
components for Chippewa Street. This 500,000 square foot building
was located 4300 New Haven Avenue in Fort Wayne. Today this plant
is owned by the Rea Magnet Wire Company after it was purchased from
Phelps-Dodge in 2006. In the 1990's I was inside this plant
several times on business for General Motors. I was unaware of its WWII
history until June of 2016. This was a government owned plant
Studebaker started as a wagon manufacturer
in South Bend, IN in 1852 before making the conversion to trucks and
automobiles in the early 20th century. Seen here at the Museum of
the Soldier in Portland, IN is a Studebaker Wagon Company built Army
Escort Wagon 1899-1917. Author's photo added 9-30-2014.
This type of Escort Wagon was pulled
by four mules and accompanied soldiers in the field by carrying their
personal belongings, food and other essentials and suppliers.
Author's photo added 9-30-2014.
The Four Studebaker plants were awarded a
total of 14 Army-Navy "E" Awards during WWII.
The Studebaker Aviation Plant in Chicago, IL won three Army-Navy "E" Awards.
The Studebaker Aviation Plant in South Bend, IN won four Army-Navy "E" Awards.
The Studebaker Automotive Plant in South Bend, IN won three Army-Navy
The Studebaker Aviation Plant in Fort Wayne, IN won four Army-Navy "E" Awards.
Long before the US became involved in WWII
Studebaker was supplying 4x2 1-1/2 ton K-Series trucks to the
Netherlands, France and Belgium. Most were captured by the Germans
and used by them during the conflict. Photo added 2-12-2015.
All of the Studebaker production of radial
aircraft engines went into this type aircraft, the Boeing B-17 Flying
Fortress. All B-17s manufactured after January of 1944 came
equipped with Studebaker built R-1830 engines with the last engines
coming off the South Bend, IN assembly line in June of 1945.
Another big WWII product line that Studebaker is
remembered for is the 2 1/2 ton truck. This Studebaker US6 2-1/2 ton truck is located at the National Military Historical Center, Auburn, IN, and
is on loan
from the National Studebaker Museum in South Bend. It was built in
1942 and is one of 197,678 that were built by the company. It was
never used so is in near brand new condition.
Studebaker World War
Two / WWII Production Numbers / Statistics:
(63,789) of the
Wright R-1820 Cyclone aircraft engines used exclusively in the Boeing
B-17 Flying Fortress Bomber. Starting in January of 1944 and
continuing to the end of B-17 production in the summer of 1945,
Studebaker supplied all of the engines installed the B-17s.
For production of the radial
aircraft engines the Defense Plants Corporation provided a
$50,000,000 for a new plant on Chippewa Avenue on the south side of
South Bend, the ground breaking ceremony taking place in January of
1941. Studebaker did not need the facility after WWII as it
was too large for its intended car production. However, during
Korea it did again make post war M35 2-1/2 ton military trucks in
the facility. After Studebaker went out of business Kaiser-Willys
and then AM General used the plant for the manufacture of the M35.
(15,124) M29 Weasels: (766) T15/M28-1942-43, (1,002) T24-1943,
(523) M29-1943, (2,951) M29-1944, (4,201) M29C-1944, (6,446) M29C-1945. The M29 Weasel was invaluable to the
military as it had the ability to move through sand, mud and snow and
negotiate up, down and sideways across hills in any of the three.
It was totally designed and built by Studebaker in its main plant in
(197,678) US6 / M16A 2-1/2 ton trucks -
Most of the production went
to Russia which desperately needed good reliable heavy duty trucks and
in appreciation for the supply of trucks, Joseph Stalin sent
Studebaker an official letter of thanks. The trucks came in
either a 148 in. or 162 in. wheelbase. There was also a 6x4
version that was rated at 5 tons but this was for over the road use
only. The 6x6 was rated 2 1/2 tons for off road travel and five
tons for on road travel. Around
10,000 trucks were manufactured as open cab starting in December of 1942
but production reverted back to the covered cab in March of 1943 after
the Russian Army expressed its dissatisfaction with the change.
It gets cold in Russia in the winter! Studebaker US6 trucks were not only manufactured as cargo trucks but
gallon water tankers, semi-tractors (6x4) and dump trucks.
Wrong!!!! The HD Documentary "WWII from Space" states at 44
minutes into the show that the United States supplied 500,000 Studebaker
trucks built in Detroit factories to the Soviet Union during WWII.
First, Studebaker trucks were not built in Detroit, MI, but South Bend,
IN. And because Studebaker only built 197,678 trucks during the
war, it was impossible for the company to supply half a million to the
Soviets as the show states. Not all American trucks plants during
WWII were in Detroit. Dodge was. GMC, the largest builder of
the 2-1/2 ton truck was in Pontiac, MI. Chevrolet built the GMC
1-1/2 ton truck in St. Louis, MO. Ford built 1/4 ton trucks in
Dearborn, MI, and Willys-Overland built them in Toledo, OH. People
need to get their facts straight before doing a documentary! DDJ
What didn't happen:
Originally the Chippewa Street Plant was to produce the Wright
R-2600 engine for the North American B-25. After much of the
tooling was built the Army Air Corp had a more urgent need for the
R-1820 for the B-17. The original tooling was scrapped and the
process started over to tool up for R-1820 production.
B-25 "Champaign Gal" at the Champaign Air
Museum in Urbana, OH. Studebaker originally was contracted to
build the engines for this type aircraft. Photo added 2-12-2015.
The R-2600 had two rows of cylinders vs. the
one row in the R-1820. Photo added 2-12-2015.
This undated four page brochure on Studebaker's contribution to the war
effort would appear to be 1943.
This is a Studebaker built R-1820 engine
that is at the Champaign Aviation Museum in Urbana, OH that will end up
as one of the four power plants that will go onto the B-17 "Champaign Lady"
when she is fully restored to flying condition by the Museum.
Magazine Advertisements - Studebaker is
one of the manufacturers that elected to advertise its war effort in the
magazines of the period to keep its name in front of the car buying
public, knowing there was going to be pent-up demand for the automobiles after
hostilities ceased. Looking the ads helps give more insight into the
war products produced.
This ad from October of 1944 gives some
Studebaker production numbers to that date. 45,000 R-1830 aircraft
engines out of a total of 63,789 and 135,000 trucks out of 197,678 had
been produced by that date.
Studebaker built 197,678 trucks during WWII,
most of them going to the Soviet Union as part of the Lend-Lease program.
15,124 M29 Weasels were produced during WWII.
This was a Studebaker design and it was the only company to manufacture
Photos from the Studebaker Museum in South
Bend, IN. This is an excellent museum and is well worth the trip
to South Bend to visit it. Composed of three floors, there are all
sort of vehicles in the brand new facility. The WWII items are in the
basement which is a combination display and storage area for vehicles as
they are rotated through the main museum displays.
The M29/T15/T24 Weasel:
The Wright 1820 Radial Aircraft Engine:
There is no US6 /M16A truck on display but there was this photo of one.
See photo below.
Photos from the National Military
Historical Center, Auburn, IN.
Another view of the Studebaker US6 2.5 ton truck
that is on loan
from the National Studebaker Museum in South Bend.
The National Military Historical Center also has
a Studebaker T24 on display also.
The National Military Historical Center also
has a Studebaker M29C "Water Weasel" which was the
Here a Studebaker built M29 Weasel is
pulling troops behind it on skies with a tow rope in Italy in early
At the end Studebaker, actually
Studebaker-Packard, was still turning out military trucks. This
M35A1 was built by the company in South Bend, IN in 1962. A year
later the company was gone. Author's photo from the 2014 MVPA
Portland, IN gathering added 9-30-2014.
Interesting is the fact that in WWII
Studebaker designed the US6, which Reo in Lansing, MI then also
manufactured. After WWII Reo then designed the M35 which not only
Studebaker built, like this one, but other companies as well.
Author's photo added 9-30-2014.
Author's photo added 9-30-2014.
You can see real Studebaker US6
Video of seventeen Studebaker Trucks in Queensland, Australia, 2007