Marmon-Herrington Company in World War Two
Indianapolis, IN -
Louisville, KY - 1963 to present
This page added 4-11-2017.
From 1902 to 1933, the Marmon Motor Car Company built automobiles.
Marmon-Herrington was formed in 1931 by Walter Marmon and Walter
Herrington and focused on building all-wheel drive trucks. The Marmon-Herrington was especially successful in
converting Ford trucks into all-wheel drive. Today, the company
continues to provide all-wheel drive components to the heavy-duty
The Marmon "Wasp" that won the very first
Indy 500 in 1911 is on display at the Indianapolis 500 Hall of Fame
Museum in Speedway, IN. The author viewed the vehicle at a
local big box electronics retailer in Fishers, IN in March 2017.
The museum loans out the "Wasp" on a regular basis.
Company World War Two Production: (?) 94x93 4-5 ton tractor
trucks late in WWII. Similar to the Federal Motor Truck Company
94x93 4-5 ton tractor truck.
Four-wheel Drive Components
- Marmon-Herrington supplied four-wheel
drive trains to convert Ford trucks for the British Commonwealth.
Armored Cars - The
Marmon-Herrington Armored Car consisted of a Canadian built Ford 3-ton
truck that was then shipped to South Africa. There, they were fitted with
a Marmon-Herrington four-wheel drive train, and had the necessary armor
and armament added. The vehicles were known as Marmon-Herrington
Armored Cars, even though the company only supplied the four-wheel-drive
train. A total 5,746 armored cars were built by the
South Africans in several versions. Today 33 still exist, all
outside the United States. They served not only in WWII, but also in
the Indonesian National Revolution, the 1948 Arab-Israeli War, the
Turkish Invasion of Cyprus, and the Rhodesian Bush War.
A Marmon-Herrington Mark III Armored Car manned by Indian troops during
Pre-WWII Tanks 1935-1942 - Marmon-Herrington built seven
different style tanks similar to the CTMS tank shown below,
displayed at the New Jersey National Guard Annex in Lawrenceville, NJ.
About 300 total tanks were built; being sold to the US Marine
Corp, The Netherlands for service in the Dutch East Indies, and several
Latin American countries. The US Marines purchased 15; and 240
were taken by the US Army, which were used for training in Alaska.
Today, only four of the tanks remain worldwide. All are in the
The Marmon-Herrington CTMS-1TB1 Light Tank
This is serial number 791, located in the artillery and armor
section of the New Jersey National Guard Museum Annex at
Lawrenceville, NJ. Author's photo.
This design is typical of the pre-World
War Two light tank design. Differences in the other tanks
included crew size, armament, and location of the turret.
The information on the museum placard
for this particular tank is incorrect. It states that the CTMS
tank served with American forces in Alaska. The American Army
in Alaska used the CTLS, and the turret was offset to the right, or
left, of the tank. Author's photo.
This CTLS light tank operated by the US
Army in Alaska had the turret offset to the right side of the tank.
The Marmon-Herrington CTL-3A did not
have a turret. Five CTL-3As were delivered to the USMC in 1939
and were taken out of service in 1943.
WWII Tanks - Marmon-Herrington's largest tank production run
was the M22 Locust Light Tank. The company built 830 between
1942 and 1945. While the M22 was not assigned to any
operational units with the US Army, 260 were shipped to Great
Britain under Lend-Lease; where eight were involved on the British
attack on the Rhine River. After WWII the Egyptians used a
significant number in the 1948 Arab-Israeli War. Today 19 M22s
are left world wide, with ten being
in the United States.
This M22 Locust tank is owned by the
Roberts Armory in Rochelle, IL. The author's photograph was
taken at the 2015 Rockford, IL WWII re-enactment. Note its size
compared to the on looking spectators.
The M22 squeezed a three-man crew into
the vehicle. There was the driver and tank commander/loader
seen here, along with a gunner for the 37mm cannon. Author's
The relative size of the M22 to its
supporting infantrymen is evident. Author's photo.
The M22 was designed with the intention of
being a light tank that could support airborne troops upon landing.
One of the methods of delivering the M22 to the airborne battlefield was
to remove the turret, and then hook the turret and body of the tank to
the bottom of a C-54. Then after the paratroopers secured a
suitable landing field for the C-54, the M22 tanks could be delivered
and re-assembled for support. British troops found that they could
attach the turrets to the tank in about ten minutes using the C-54's
internal hoist. Ten minutes is a long time under fire to be
putting a tank together. All of this assumed that the paratroopers
target area would include a landing field large enough to land the C-54.
It no doubt sounded like a good idea at the time. It was never
implemented. Author's photo.